Sunday 14 April 2013

Mum's The Word Weekly Meal Plan - 15th April 2013

Meal Planning Monday

How has everyones week been?  Our's was one of those weeks that I'm glad to be over.  Not that anything really bad happened but it just seemed to be 'one of those weeks'.

The little one is nearly 5 months old and I've been holding off starting weaning properly as the Health Visitors/Midwives recommend now a days that you wait until 6 months before doing so. Over the past wee while I've given her small bits of mashed up banana which she seems to have enjoyed and hasn't  had any problems with.  

This week I had some apples left, so pureed them and gave her some on Monday...Bedtime that night was awful, I was trying to make dinner, hubby was trying to get her to settle in bed and she was inconsolably crying.  It was terrible, she just about stopped crying for me.  It took us over an hour to get her settled, staying by her cot, trying to rub her hand to console her and get her to go over to sleep (normally she's very good).  Tuesday was no better, exact same thing, inconsolable crying and it just wasn't like her.  I hated seeing her like that, she must have been such pain.  Suddenly I put two and two together and thought it might be the apple that was causing it.  On Wednesday I didn't give her any and low and behold she went down perfectly without a fuss! ..... I think we'll leave apple off the menu for her for a while!  

Needless to say this week I've had some dinner mishaps due to having dinner on and then attending to the little one.  I was cooking the stir fry on Monday I turned my back for a minute or two to get something for hubby (to attend the crying child), looked back and the pan was black from the honey cooking. - Great!  I thought dinner was going to be ruined but kept on with it anyway, surprisingly it turned out rather tasty!

Disaster number 1

The Salt & Pepper Chicken (Salted Chilli Chicken) turned out OK too but was maybe a tad overdone.  We tried Utterly Scrummy's Sausage & Vegetable Hot Pot, I thought it was really nice but hubby wasn't really enthused so think it'll be a recipe just for me for the future.  The Spicy Tuna Fish Cakes were a real hit and as they made eight patty's we had them two nights in a row.  Fajita Lasagna turned into ordinary fajitas as we were out on Saturday in Belfast and then had popped into the in-laws...let's just say an impromptu bath had to happen for the little one ('nuff said) and so by the time I was starting dinner it was late and by the time we were eating it was about 9pm.

During the week, hubby also found a warning light had come on his car dash.  I'm taking it to get looked at tomorrow but from googling it it could be about £1000 - £1500 to fix - Just wonderful!  Whilst we were out on Saturday we heard this really bad rattle from his car too, it almost sounded like a clip had come off and some pipes were loose but we can't seem to see where it's coming from. It seems to have disappeared (for now) but not looking forward to what that problem may be.  We got told at the service recently that his brakes need changed too (front & back). Oh and to top it all off we ran out of oil on Saturday night!

I was meant to be meeting a friend on Sunday and so decided to change from a roast to something quick and easy.  We ended up having the left over fajitas for lunch and the Baked Pasta Dish for dinner.  You can find the recipe here http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/6032/the-baked-pasta-dish.aspx.  It's a great bulk dinner as you make the sauce once which makes 5 portions, pop in the freezer and then next time only have to cook the pasta, stir through and bake - yummy!

This week we are having the following:  


The sausage casserole is a recipe my mum gave us and hubby loves this so much that I think this is why he didn't enjoy the other recipe this week as much.  I'll do a post on it later in the week.

Spanish chicken is going to be a new recipe for us from Mum Reinvented's blog so looking forward to trying that.  Mediterranean Chicken is the Coleman's season and shake sachet - it's so simple but tasty!

Hubby came up with the meatball sub - this will be our own creation and I'll probably cheat and buy the meatballs.

Beef and Bean Burritos is another new recipe I found on The Resourceful Cook website/blog so hopefully it'll be scrummy as I like the sound of it.

Hopefully we'll have a better week this week.  

What are you having this week?

I'm linking up with Mrs M's Meal Planning Monday, so why not have a nosey at what everyone else is having this week.


2 comments:

  1. The burritos sound delicious. We always do chicken when we have mexican, but beef would be good to try. (not sure my OH would allow for me to use steak in that way though!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby would probably say the same! I'm just going to use mince though. Looking forward to having them. :-)

      Delete