Friday 12 April 2013

Spicy Tuna Fish Cakes


Spicy Fish Cakes - yum!
I don't know about you but I'm not a big fish eater.  I would love to enjoy fish more, especially as it's so good for you, but if only it didn't taste so fishy! I only eat tuna and salmon out of a tin (I get mocked that it has to be out of a tin but the fresh stuff tastes, well, more fishy.

My mum used to make salmon fish cakes when we were at home and they were nice.  I've made them since being married but was searching the net for something different and came across these.  The recipe makes 8 fish cakes and so this should serve 4 people depending on how hungry you are.  We found two each was plenty.

Of course you know what I'm going to say, don't you?! This was yet another ad hoc recipe, I had checked the recipe but wasn't buying Dijon mustard just for this and so just used the powdered English mustard that I had in the cupboard.  I didn't add in the onion as I didn't have one to hand and used crushed garlic instead of garlic granules.

When mixing everything in the bowl I was worried if it would taste ok as the mustard smell was very strong but it was surprising how well the flavours blended together.  These were really tasty and I'd definitely make them again, hubby loved them too which is an added bonus.

Ingredients

1 large potato, peeled and cubed
320g tinned tuna, drained
1 egg
1/4 onion, chopped (optional)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (or English mustard)
1 tablespoon dry breadcrumbs, or as needed
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic granules (or crushed garlic cloves to taste)
1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs or seasoning (I used mixed herbs)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil

Method 

Put the potato in a small pot with salted water. Boil until the potato is tender, drain and steam dry for a minute or two then mash.

In a bowl add the tuna, egg, onion, mustard, breadcrumbs, garlic, herbs, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper into the mashed potato until mixed through. Divide the mixture into 8 equal patties.

Heat the oil in the frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the fish cakes until browned and crisp. Approx 3 mins each side.

1 comment: